Dr Dariusz Brzezinski
- Job title: Visiting Research Fellow
- Email: email@example.com
- Location: Instytut Filozofii I Socjologii Polskiej Akademii Nauk (POL)
- Areas of expertise: social theory, sociology and anthropology of culture, theories of culture, utopian and dystopian thought, texts of culture
I visited University of Leeds for the first time in September 2010 as a participant of a conference Re-thinking Global Society in September 2010. It was a time when The Bauman Institute was officially established. My following visits took place between 2014 and 2017 and were related to my research project Zygmunt Bauman’s Work in the Context of the Contemporary Theories of Culture that was financed by National Science Centre in Poland. In this time I make some initial research in the Janina and Zygmunt Bauman Archive that is located in the University of Leeds Library. It has its continuation in a research project that I started realizing in 2018 together with Dr. Mark Davis, Dr Tom Campbell and Dr Jack Palmer from the Bauman Institute. Our aim is to restore, analyse and publish the unknown papers of Zygmunt Bauman as well as to make research related to his work.
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Department of Theoretical Sociology, 2014-present.
- Lecturer at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow: Inter-faculty Individual Studies in the Humanities (2015-present), Faculty of Polish Studies: Department of Anthropology of Literature and Cultural Studies (2014-present).
- PhD in sociology, Institute of Sociology, Jagiellonian University in Cracow, dissertation: Utopian Thinking in the Social Theory of Zygmunt Bauman, 2014.
- Master of Arts in Cultural Studies, with Honours, Faculty of International and Political Studies, Jagiellonian University in Cracow, 2008.
- Master of Arts in European Studies, Centre for European Studies, University of Exeter, 2007.
- Master of Arts in Sociology, with Honours, Faculty of Philosophy, Jagiellonian University in Cracow, 2006.
My Most Recent Research Projects:
- (PI), An Analysis of the Zygmunt Bauman’s Personal Documents in the Contexts of the Legacy of His Work (with the Dr Mark Davis, Dr Tom Campbell, Dr Jack Palmer), project financed by Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, grant no: POR/207/S/08, Value: 9 000 Euro, 05-12.2018.
- (PI), Zygmunt Bauman’s Work in the Context of the Contemporary Theories of Culture, project financed by the National Science Centre in Poland, grant no: 2014/12/S/HS2/00391, Value: 100 000 Euro, 2014-2017.
My Most Recent Selected Publications:
D. Brzeziński, A Message in a Bottle: on the Recovered Work of Zygmunt Bauman, in: Z. Bauman, Sketches in the Theory of Culture, Polity Press, Cambridge 2018, pp. vii-xxv. The book was discovered and restored by me after fifty years of being considered to be irretrievably lost.
D. Brzeziński, Consumerist Culture in Zygmunt Bauman’s Critical Sociology: A Comparative Analysis of his Polish and English Writings, “Polish Sociological Review”, 2018, no 1, pp. 77-94.
D. Brzeziński, Zygmunt Bauman’s Work in the Context of the Contemporary Theories of Culture, IFiS PAN Publishing House Warsaw 2017 (in Polish)
D. Brzeziński, Between Kokoschka and Modigliani. National Identities in the Contexts of New Theories of Culture, in: J. Kurczewska (ed.), Contemporary National and Local Cultures “in politics”: and “for politics”, IFiS PAN Publishing House Warsaw 2017 (in Polish).
D. Brzeziński, Human Praxis, Alternative Thinking And Heterogeneous Culture – Zygmunt Bauman’s Revisionist Thought, “Hybris”, 2017, no 2, pp. 61-80.
Fellowships and Affiliations:
- Polish Sociological Associations, groups: Social Anthropology, History of Sociology.
- Commission for the Study of the Threats of Civilisation, Polish Academy of Learning.
- The Bauman Institute, School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Leeds.