International Launch Conference
We were delighted to launch the Bauman Institute within the School of Sociology and Social Policy with a major international conference on 6th and 7th September 2010.
It was an honour to welcome as our plenary speakers:
- Neal Lawson – Chair of Compass, and writer for The Guardian and New Statesman
- Saskia Sassen – Robert S. Lynd Professor of Sociology, Columbia University, and Centennial Visiting Professor, London School of Economics
- Daniel Libeskind – Architect
- George Ritzer – Distinguished University Professor at the University of Maryland
And giving our inspirational Closing Address:
- Zygmunt Bauman – Emeritus Professor of Sociology, University of Leeds
The conference was fortunate to host such a wonderful mixture of plenary and special panels sessions, all of which are available to view here.
With over 200 delegates from around the world attending, the conference brought together international expertise amongst scholars, researchers, practitioners, and postgraduate students, working in a variety of fields across the arts, humanities and social sciences.
The two day conference ran a series of parallel sessions, reflecting the research and teaching priorities of the Bauman Institute, and there was a very high level of debate and discussion as everyone responded to the challenge of Rethinking Global Society.