School of Sociology and Social Policy

The Bauman Institute

Latest Tweets

Bauman’s Compass

As the impact of our recent international launch conference starts to be felt far and wide, I am slowly beginning to gather my thoughts from the whirlwind of discussion and presentations that took place here in Leeds a few weeks ago. As I mentioned in my email to all of our delegates, I will soon post my own thoughts and reflections on the various sessions I attended and we will soon have available through our website both images and videos of our plenary sessions.

Our opening plenary session was given by Neal Lawson, Chair of Compass. Neal’s reflections on the intellectual guidance offered by Zygmunt Bauman’s sociology was a wonderful opening to the new Bauman Institute and – under the title of ‘Beyond Bureaucracy and Markets‘ – is published in an edited version today by Open Democracy.

Also published today is a Think Piece that I have written for Compass, entitled ‘Bauman’s Compass: Towards a Sociology of Hope‘. In this article, I reflect upon the recent economic crisis and argue that many of the most compelling issues we now face can only be understood through a sociological lens. Moreover, I propose that Zygmunt Bauman’s sociology has much to offer those who are currently seeking a new direction and a new sense of hope on the Left and that the absence of a genuine sociological literacy amongst key-decision makers is running the risk of becoming a major impediment to effective policy making.

This entry was posted in News, Renewing Politics and Civil Society, The Social Thought of Zygmunt Bauman.

• I really enjoyed your Compass article Mark. Bauman’s views on socialism as an active utopia are just as relevant as ever. I’m not sure if I have mentionned this before but I think Ursula Le Guin’s “The Dispossessed” demonstrates this very well. I read them at the same in the late 1970s. I think the piece I am currenty struggling to finish, on Bauman’s sociological praxis and its implied social and political praxis for the democratic (and possibly reolutionary) left, will fit and follow on very well from from your think piece.

• Pingback: The Bauman Institute » Blog Archive » The art of essay writing()

© Copyright Leeds 2017